Milford Housing Development Corporation (MHDC) is looking to expand our team! MHDC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse environment.
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes:
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Holidays
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
We actively seek applicants who bring diverse viewpoints, experience, talents, and culture to promote our organization’s mission of providing decent, safe, and affordable housing solutions for people of modest means.
Location: Milford, Delaware
Classification: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Immediate Supervisor: Project Superintendent
Milford Housing Development Corporation (MHDC) is a value-driven, nonprofit, affordable housing developer and program provider, offering a full-continuum of housing-related services, meeting the needs of the community for over 40 years. The agency is known for an open minded approach, commitment to quality, and its caring passion for clients and staff alike. While this job description describes the typical duties and responsibilities of the position, there will be times when this position will be called on to do other and/or additional tasks for the organization in order to carry out MHDC’s mission.
The Construction Supervisor will be responsible for the onsite construction supervision of the self-help housing program homes. In addition, the Construction Supervisor will provide construction and safety training to the self-help housing program participants. This position will assist the Construction Coordinator in ordering and receiving materials and supplies, receive inventories of building material, and keep track of and organize construction tool inventory.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out the daily operations of the construction of the self-Help housing program homes as outlined by the Project Superintendent.
- Assist with the training and supervision of the Self-Help Housing Program participants with the construction of their homes using the Mutual Self-Help construction method. .
- Assist the Project Superintendent with organizing work crews of families for maximum efficiency of manpower and materials.
- Teach tool safety and use in addition to maintaining safe working conditions.
- Assist the Project Superintendent with maintenance of records of hours worked by participants.
- Provide other construction and maintenance duties that may be necessary for MHDC.
- Keep all aspects of construction in compliance with applicable regulations, standards, and codes.
- Assist the Project Superintendent with building inspections carried out by the USDA Rural Development and local building inspectors.
- Assist the Project Superintendent with weekly ordering and subcontractor scheduling.
- Maintain record of work schedules and reports.
- Position may require use of personal vehicle for MHDC travel; employee must maintain a valid driver's license and proof of automobile insurance. MHDC will reimburse personal vehicle mileage with appropriate documentation, not to exceed federal government rates.
- Abide by and comply with MHDC's Personnel Manual.
- Prepare reports and submit to supervisor in a timely, complete, and accurate manner.
- Maintain professional quality oral communication.
- Work individually with diligence to accomplish established work plan and objectives.
- Required to lift 30-50 lbs, frequently
- Perform over head lifting, occasionally
- Required to climb a ladder, frequently
- Required to kneel, bend, squat, and crawl in confined and unclean spaces, occasionally
- Perform repetitive arm, wrist, and hand movement, continuously
- High School diploma or equivalent with satisfactory completion of building trade courses.
- Minimum of five (5) years of building trades knowledge.
- Ability to teach building skills to unskilled workers.
- Ability to operate various kinds of construction equipment.
- Willingness to work irregular hours as required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good mathematics, budget, and economic skills.
- Empathy and understanding for low-income people and the difficulty attaining decent, affordable housing.
Note: Direct deposit of pay is a condition of employment. Failure to agree to participate in direct deposit will result in the withdrawal of employment.